Monday, February 11, 2008

Eating Daisies


I fell asleep beneath the flowers
For a couple of hours
On a beautiful day
Daydream
I dream of you amid the flowers
For a couple of hours
Such a beautiful day
(Lupe Fiasco - Daydreamin')

My poet/stylist/confidante came up with a term "eating daisies." I took this phrase and I thought about. I thought about it a lot - as I seem to do.

Only a happy person would ever eat daisies. That is logical, right? A sad person would not go around eating daisies. No, definitely not! Sad people do not go around eating flowers.

So when I am happy I am "eating daisies" and when I am really happy I am "eating daisies dipped in gin."

I am eating daisies when..

- The theme music for The West Wing comes on.
- I buy new shoes.
- I visit Patchewollock.
- There are fresh flowers in the house (obviously not daisies, they are not safe).
- I have someone to talk nonsense with.
- My sister pats my head just right.
- I can leave work at 5pm on a Friday.

I am eating daisies dipped in gin when..

- I am lying on my bed reading a good book with my legs dangling out my window, kicking about in the dirt and among the geraniums.
- I am hanging out on the deck with my parents, Manna and Matt getting drunk with Sparticus at my feet.
- I slip into newly washed white sheets and into the welcoming snuggle of Joshua (my teddy bears) arms.
- Dad and I go for walkies with the dogs and Mum meets us at the park.
- I can kick my shoes off at a gig and dance.
- I am falling in love.

1 comment:

Bo Bo said...

It stands to reason that only happy people would be “eating daisies”. If you are “pushing up daisies” you would be dead. And dead is not happy.

So if you eat daisies does that mean you are eating the dead?
Or
If you eat daisies the dead are being reborn?
Hmmm

Drinky time.